PARC-National Sugar and Tropical Horticulture and Research Institute (NSTHRI), SARC-Thatta
In 1990, research work on sugarcane varietal development was started using local and exotic fuzz at Sujawal under Southern Zone Agriculture Research Institute (SZARI) project launched by PARC. In 1998 PSDP project “National Sugarcane Research Institute (NSCRI)” atThatta was launched, which was re-designated as a regular institute of PARC in 2003. The scope of NSCRI was extended by renaming it as “National Sugar and Tropical Horticulture Research Institute” The main objective of NSTHRI,Thatta is “to develop high yielding sugarcane varieties with best sugar recovery percentage and having significant performance in different agro-ecological zones of the countryand to conduct research on tropical horticultural crops”. To achieve the goal, the institute has been working on development of new sugarcane varieties through local and exotic fuzz (true seed of sugarcane) since 1990 and has introduced and multiplied elite exotic banana varieties in Sindh.
II. Labs/Field activities (Discipline-wise):Sugarcane quality analysis lab, tissue culture lab andfield activities
No. of Awards/Medals: N/A
- Received a shield for delivering presentation on “Efficient use of irrigation water in sugarcane and other crops” in Annual Sugarcane Seminar organized by Faran Sugar Mill, Shaikh Bhirkio on September 3, 2015.
- Received shield on presentingpaper on “Potassium fertilization and its role in maximizing cane and sugar production” in a seminar on “sugarcane” organized by Faran Sugar Mill at Shaikh Bhirkio on October 4, 2017.
- Received a shield on participation in seminar on “Alterative Plant Nutrient Sources for Higher Crop Yields under Changing Climate”. jointly organized by Soil Science Society of Pakistan and Department of Soil Science SAU Tandojam held at Senate Hall, Sindh Agriculture University (SAU), Tandojam on September, 10, 2018.
- Received a certificate from Pakistan Society Sugar Technologist (PSST) for delivering a presentation on “Nutrient Management Particularly Micronutrients Role in Sugarcane” in workshop “How to increase sugar yield per hectare” organized by PSST at Indus Hotel Hyderabad on June 15, 2015.
- Received a certificate on presentation of paper in 49th Annual Convention, Pakistan Society of Sugar Technologists, Hotel Movenpick, Karachi, 14-15th Sept. 2015.
- Received a certificate on participation in one day training workshop on “Capacity building of professionals on Banana Tissue Culture and Micro Irrigation System for Tunnel Farming”. Organized by NSTHRI Thatta in collaboration with CAEWRI and Banana Pak-China Project, NARC held at NSTHRI, Thatta on November 26, 2015.
- Received a certificate of training on“Result Based Monitoring Evaluation” organized by ALP, held at PARC-SARC Karachi from18-19 March, 2016.
- Received a certificate as a resource person in three days “Training Course in Banana Tissue Culture at Tandojam” held at ARI, Tandojam from 2-4 June, 2016.
- Received a certificate as a speaker of presentation on “sugarcane variety composition, fuzz production and need for sugarcane breeding station at Thatta” in sugarcane seminar organized by Faran Sugar Mill at Shaikh Bhirio on October 6, 2016.
- Received a certificate of participation in National Coordinated Annual Planting Meeting on Sugarcane held at National Sugar & Tropical Horticulture Research Institute (NSTHRI), Thatta on August 28, 2017.
- Received a certificate for presenting paper in 1st International Workshop on “R & D Activities on Sugarcane Plant Improvement” held on August 9, 2017 at Sugarcane & Research Development Board, Ayub Agricultural Research Institute, Faisalabad.
- Received a certificate of participation and presenting paper in one day workshop on “Site Specific Variety Development of Sugarcane” organized by Pakistan Society of Sugar Technologists (PSST) at Indus Hotel Hyderabad on July 24, 2017.
- Received certificate of participation in one day workshop on “District level lesson learnt and good practices sharing workshop” under project of “Strengthening of resilience through DRR and livelihood in vulnerable coastal communities in district Thatta, Sindh, Pakistan”. Organized by Pakistan Fisher Folk in collaboration with Melteser International, held at Government Polytechnic Institute, Makli, Thatta on April 24, 2018.
- Received certificate for presenting paper on “Enhancement of Sugar Recovery in Sugarcane Through Potassium Fertilization” in one day workshop on “Sugar Recovery profile, its Causes and Mitigation” organized by Pakistan Society of Sugar Technologists (PSST) at Indus hotel Hyderabad on July 4, 2018.
- Received a certificate for participation in 7th National workshop on “Practical Approaches for the Identification of Stress Tolerant Plants” organized by PAEC-NIA, Tandojam and held on February 26-27, 2019 at Tandojam.
- Received a certificate of appreciation for participation and arranging a stall for demonstration of Research and Development Activities of NSTHRI, PARC Thatta in livestock, Dairy, Fisheries & Agriculture, Exhibition& Seminar held on January 21- 22, 2017 at Sindh Agriculture University, Tandojam.
IV. Participation in International Events: Nil
V- No. Trainingsattendended:
- Training workshop on “Capacity building of professionals on Bana Tissue Culture and Micro-irrigation system for tunnel farming” organized by NSTHRI, Thatta in collaboration with CAEWRI & Pak-China Bana Project NARC Islamabad, NSTHRI, Makli, Thatta, November 26, 2015.
- Training on“Result Based Monitoring Evaluation” organized by ALP, held at SARC Karachi held onMarch18-19, 2016.
- Training workshop on “Nutrient Management for Better Crop Production” organized by Soil and Environment Division, Nuclear Institute of Agriculture (NIA), Tandojam held on December 19-20, 2016.
- AIP Agronomy training on “Green Seeker Use for Nitrogen Management in Wheat” organized by AIP project CIMMYT at Wheat Research Institute, Sakrandheldon December 28, 2016.
- Training Course on “Banana Tissue Culture” held at ARI, Tandojam on June 2-4, 2017.
- Training on “Rearing of Trichogrammachilonis” at Faran Sugar Mill Biological Control Laboratory, Shaikh Birkinheld on July3-5, 2017.
- Training workshop on “Practical Approaches for the Identification of Stress Tolerant Plants”in organized by PAEC-NIA, Tandojam and held on February 26-27, 2019 at Tandojam.
- Training course on “Green Super Hybrid Rice Variety Breeding, Seed Production and Cultivation Technology for Developing Countries” held at Changsha China from 16th September to 15th October-2017.
- Training course regarding “Seminar on hybrid rice promotion for Pakistan” held at Changsha, China from July 7-29, 2018.
VII. No. of Trainings Imparted (with field/Subject)
- Mr. Ghulam Qadir Baran, student Department of Agronomy, Sindh Agriculture University, Tandojam was trained regarding harvesting of sugarcane trials and sugarcane quality analysis techniques in the laboratory during 2014.
- Five students ( Muhammad Owais, Abdur Rahman, Hussain Shah, Rashid Ahmed Perozani and Ayaz Ali) Department of Horticulture, Sindh Agriculture University Tandojam were trained in the field of banana tissue culture and field cultivation practices during 2014.
- Internship training on tissue culture was imparted to Mr. Sarfraz Ahmed, Department of Horticulture, SAU from 09-02-2016 to 11-3-2016.
- Internship training on tissue culture was imparted to Miss Housie Bibi from 09-02-2016 to 11-3-2016.
- Internship training on tissue culture was imparted to Mr. Dharmoonfrom 13-03-2016 to 12-4-2016.
- Internship training on tissue culture was imparted to Mr. Naroofrom 13-03-2016 to 12-4-2016.
- Trained two workers, Mr. Allah BoxKhoso and Ashok Kumar, of an NGO’s Action for Humanitarian Development (AHD) for “ arsenic determinations under different techniques and use of arsenic kits” on 28th December 2017 at NSTHRI, PARC, Thatta.
VII. Advisory Services:Guidance to sugarcane and banana growers.
2. Aims and Objectives:
- To develop and propagate sugar crops with higher yield and sucrose content for different agro-ecological zones with resistance to drought, salinity, water logging and frost, etc.
- To undertake research on tropical horticultural crops and development of optimum packages for their cultivation in coastal area.
- To undertake research on cereals, oil seed and other crops for their optimum production in coastal areas.
- To undertake research on soil and water for their best utility for irrigation and develop procedures for reclamation of soil using modern techniques.
- To disseminate the knowledge among the Farmers and develop linkages between National and International Institutes.
3. Available Facilities/Services:
Sugarcane quality analysis, soil and water testing and tissue culture laboratories.
4. Activities (Last 05 years):
- Sugarcane Research and Development Activities
- Developed Thatta-2109 and Thatta-326 sugarcane varieties and got approved from Provincial Seed Council, Sindh.
- The variety (YT-55-Thatta) has been approved by Variety Evaluation Committee (VEC), PARC, Islamabad and Technical Committee for the Approval of Varieties and Techniques, Government of Sindh.
- Implemented activities of ALP project “Screening of Drought Tolerant Sugarcane Varieties Under Different Soil Conditions”.
- Developed PC-I for the Mega project “Strengthening of National Sugarcane Breeding Program Through Hybridization Facilities” has been approved by ECNEC has been launced in October, 2019.
- Tissue culture lab Activities
- Developed 4604 sugarcane tissue cultured plants of four varieties and distributed among farmers free of cost.
- Developed 67175 disease free banana tissue culture plants. Out of total, 32671 were given free of cost and 34504 were sold @ Rs. 60 per plant with a total earning of Rs. 2,071,300/-.
- Developed 396 sugarcane soma clones and are in the process of evaluation.
- Implemented activities of Pak-China Project (Banana Component) entitled: “Pak-China joint venture for mass propagation of high yielding banana germplasm and its evaluation in the field”.
- Implemented activities ofAIP project:“Boosting banana production through tissue culture of high yielding varieties”.
- AIP Agronomy Activity on Evaluation Zero Tillage Sowing Technique in Wheat
- Implemented AIP Agronomy activity under sub grant of CIMMYT on evaluation of zero tillage sowing technique in wheat.
- Demo trials on wheat zero tillage sowing technique under rice-wheat cropping system were conducted on 13 different farmer fields at Thatta and Sujawal districts. The zero tillage sowing technology saved land preparation cost of the growers, ensured timely sowing of wheat and increased per acre wheat yield as compared to conventional sowing method.
- AIP AVRDC Activity on Introduction of Improved Mungbean Production
- ImplementedactivitiesofAIP Vegetable Component sponsored by AVRDC on “Introduction of improved mungbeanproduction intercropping with sugarcane crop” in Thatta and Sujawal districts.
- Demo trials were conducted on farmer field at Thatta and Sujawal. The mungbean intercropped with sugarcane provided better economic returns to the farmers per unit area.
- Other Activities
- One M.Phil. student of Sindh University Jamshoro completed research work at Tissue Culture Lab.
- Organized field day seminar on “Improved Mung bean Production Intercropping with Sugarcane” in collaboration with AVRDC Mungbean project at Village SacharKhaskheli district Sujawal on April 22, 2015.
- Organized workshop on “Sugarcane Cultivation for Profitable Production” in collaboration with Pak China Cooperation project (Sugarcane component) at seminar hall of the institute on May 14, 2015.
- Organized Provincial Workshop on “Post-Harvest and Value Addition” sponsored by AVRDC, AIP at NSTHRI, Thatta on October 5, 2015.
- Organized one day workshop on “Farmer’s Awareness Day for: Mungbean intercropping with Sugarcane” in collaboration with AVRDC Project at NSTHRI, Thatta onDecember 15, 2015.
- Organized seminar on “Banana Diseases and Recycling Water Technology” in collaboration with Department of Agriculture Extension, Government of Sindh, held at NSTHRI, PARC, Thatta on March 7, 2017.
- OrganizedFarmer’s Field Day“Demonstration of wheat planted through zero tillage drill” held on March 16, 2016 at Ali FadooKhowaja Agriculture Farm (Satiyon Road Thatta), sponsored by AIP-Agronomy CIMMYT Pakistan.
- Organized Farmers’ Field Day “Sugarcane Production Technology and Display of PARC New Sugarcane Varieties” under Pak-China (Sugarcane) project at Haji Muhammad Akram Farm, village Haji Muhammad RamzanKhaskheli on November 3, 2016.
- Organized National Coordinated Annual Planting Meeting on Sugarcane at National Sugar & Tropical Horticulture Research Institute (NSTHRI), Thatta in collaboration with National Coordinator (sugar crops), PARC Islamabad on August 28, 2017.
- Organized seminar on “Sowing of wheat through zero tillage” in collaboration with AIP Agronomy, CIMMYT at NSTHRI, Thatta on March 15, 2018.
- Organized a farmer’s field day on “Sowing of wheat through zero tillage” in collaboration with AIP Agronomy CIMMYT at Munawar Ali Brohi agriculture farm near Thatta on March 26, 2018.
- Lectures/Presentations Delivered
- Delivered lectures on sugarcane variety development, tomato nursery management and kitchen gardening in a Training Workshop on “Training of Trainers for Capacity Building of Famers Through Farmers Field School Education- Skill/Vocational Training” organized by NGO, Society of Facilitators and Trainers (SOFT) Islamabad at Seminar hall of NSTHRI, Thatta from 07-08-2015 to 21-08-2015.
- Delivered lecture on “Management and IPM Techniques for Healthy Tomato Nursery Raising” on August 4th, 2015 at village Gul Muhammad Nizamani near Badin.
- Delivered presentation on “Efficient use of irrigation water in sugarcane and other crops” and received shield in Annual Sugarcane Seminar organized by Faran Sugar Mill, Shaikh Bhirkio on 3rd September 2015.
- Presented R & D activities of the institute in a meeting with a delegation of Chinese Scientists as they visited NSTHRI, Thatta on 6th September 2015 as a follow up of the establishment of “Exchange and Cooperation Consortium for Agricultural Science and Technology in China-South Asia (ECCAST-CSA)”.
- Delivered presentation on “Post harvest losses and their management in tomato and chili” in a Provincial Workshop on “Post Harvest and Value Addition” organized by AVRDC, AIP at NSTHRI, Thatta on October 5, 2015.
- Presented paper in 49th Annual Convention, Pakistan Society of Sugar Technologists, Hotel Movenpick, Karachi, 14-15th Sept. 2015.
- Delivered a presentation on“Scope of Potassium Fertilization in Pakistan” in seminar-cum-discussion on “How to aware the farming community for potassium nutrient importance” under the agenda of IPNI-Engro Session held at Marriot Hotel Karachi on February 23, 2016.
- Delivered lecture on sugarcane during the visit of students of Department of Agriculture and Agro Business Management, University of Karachi on April 14, 2016.
- Delivered lecture on Insect pest and disease management in sugarcane during the visit of students of Department of Agriculture and Agro Business Management, University of Karachi on April 14, 2016.
- Delivered a presentation on “sugarcane production technology” in a seminar organized by Agriculture Extension Department, Thatta, Government of Sindh at Makli Gymkhana on May 11, 2016.
- Delivered a presentation on “Research and Development Activities of NSTHRI” to delegation of Omni Group of Industries (Sugarcane group) during their visit at NSTHRI, Thatta on September, 23, 2016.
- Deliveredalecture on “Sugarcane Variety Development Activities at NSTHRI” to the students of Department of Biology, University of Karachi on September 29, 2016.
- Presented a paper in 1st International Workshop on “R & D Activities on Sugarcane Plant Improvement” held on August 9, 2017 at Sugarcane & Research Development Board, Ayub Agricultural Research Institute, Faisalabad.
- Delivered presentation on “Role of Tissue culture in Reducing banana Diseases” during the seminar on “Banana diseases and Recycling water technology”, organized in collaboration with Department of Agriculture Extension, Government of Sindh, held at NSTHRI, PARC, Thatta on March 7, 2017.
- Delivered a presentation on “Tissue culture Activities at NSTHRI, Thatta” in one day “Consultative Workshop” on “Banana Tissue Culture”, Jointly organized by Pakistan Agricultural Research Council and Agriculture Research Sindh, held at IPM Hall, ARI, Tandojam. The seminar was held on April 19, 2017.
- Delivered presentation to the students of Agro-Business Management Department, University of Karachi during their visit at NSTHRI, Thatta, on April 20, 2017.
- Presented a paper in one day workshop on “Site Specific Variety Development of Sugarcane” organized by Pakistan Society of Sugar Technologists (PSST) at Indus Hotel Hyderabad on July 24, 2017.
- Delivered a presentation on “Balanced Use of Fertilizers for Enhancing Sugarcane Productivity” in a training of field staff of Agriculture Extension Department. The training was held on September 11, 2018 at the office of Deputy Director Agriculture Extension Department, Thatta.
- Briefed the students of students of department of fisheries, University of Karachi regarding research and development activities of the institute during their visit at PARC- NSTHRI, Thatta on October 17, 2018.
- Presented a paper on “Enhancement of Sugar Recovery in Sugarcane Through Potassium Fertilization” in one day workshop on “Sugar Recovery profile, its Causes and Mitigation” organized by Pakistan Society of Sugar Technologists (PSST) at Indus hotel Hyderabad on July 4, 2018.
- Delivered a presentation in brainstorming session on sugarcane organized by Coordination Sugar crops, PARC, Islamabad on May 23, 2019 at PARC Islamabad.
- Briefed participants regarding “Role of NSTHRI, Thatta in Establishing Sugarcane Cross Breeding Facility in Thatta” in a seminar on sugarcane organized by Faran Sugar Mills at Shaikh Bhirkio on September 18, 2019.
- Participation in TV Programmes
- Participated as sugarcane and tissue culture expert in TV program on agriculture named as “Khaitee Ser Saitee”, a weekly program of Sindh TV news. The program was on-aired on April 23, 2015 at 5:15 pm.
- Participated as sugarcane and tissue culture expert in TV program on agriculture named as “Khaitee Ser Saitee”, a weekly program of Sindh TV news. The program was aired on December 31, 2015 at 6:15 pm.
5. Salient Achievements (Last 05 years):
- Three high cane and sugar yielding sugarcane varieties were developed and approved for commercial cultivation.
- Five promising sugarcane lines of the institute developed from local fuzz are in pipeline.
- Developed disease free sugarcane tissue cultured plants of four varieties and provided to different growers.
- Introduced zero tillage sowing technology in wheat under rice-wheat cropping system in Thatta and Sujawal districts.
- Introduced technology of improved mungbean production intercropped with sugarcane in Thatta and Sujawal districts.
6. No. of Publications=13 National: 13 papers International: -
Books/Chapters Booklet in Sindhi “Sugarcane crop and its turn wise management”
Reports/Articles: Submitted to HQ.
7. Scientific Staff (Scientists):
|Name||Designation||Qualification||Field of Specialization|
|Dr. Abdul Fatah Soomro||PSO/Director||Ph.D||Agronomy|
|CSO||M. Sc. (Agri) Hons||Agronomy|
|Mr. M. Aslam Rajput||PSO||M. Sc. (Agri) Hons||Plant Pathology|
|Dr. Ghulam Moheyuddin||PSO||Ph.D||Soil Science|
|Dr. Ali Hassan Mari||SSO||Ph.D||Soil Science|
|Mr. Muhammad Chohan||SSO||M. Sc. (Agri) Hons||Soil Science|
|Mr. Riaz Noor Panhwar||SSO||M. Sc. (Agri) Hons||Soil Science|
|Mr. Abdul Ghani Soomro||SSO||M.E.||Water Management|
|Mr. IllahiBux Bhatt||SSO||M. Sc. (Agri) Hons||Entomology|
|Mrs. Samia Arain||SO||M. Sc. (Agri) Hons||Plant Breeding & Genetics|
Name: Dr.Abdul Fatah Soomro